Another suspicious package addressed to CNN

Michael Moore Shares Footage of Serial Bomb Suspect Cut From Fahrenheit 11/9

Michael Moore Shares Footage Of Pipe Bomb Suspect At Donald Trump Rally

This image obtained Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2018, and provided by ABC News shows a package addressed to former Central Intelligence Agency head John Brennan and an explosive device that was sent to CNN's NY office.

In a tweet, CNN President Jeff Zucker said the package posed no danger to the channel.

Since last Wednesday, all mail to CNN's U.S. offices has been screened at an off-site location, he said, "so this package would not have come directly to the CNN Center, even if it hadn't been intercepted first".

Last week's bombs were sent to a range of prominent Democrats, including former President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and other frequent targets of Trump's scorn, including CNN.

In US District Court on Monday afternoon, Cesar Sayoc, his salt-and-pepper hair pulled back into a ponytail, remained largely silent, only acknowledging Judge Edwin Torres' reading of the charges against him.

This article was written by Matt Zapotosky and Devlin Barrett, reporters for The Washington Post.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Friday that Sayoc was charged with five federal crimes: interstate transportation of an explosive, illegal mailing of explosives, threats against former presidents and certain other persons, threatening interstate communications and assaulting current and former federal officers.

Sanders: Media wrongly blaming Trump for attacks
There were concerns about logistics and whether police would be able to handle the presidential visit, the people said. Per US law, each federal death penalty case must be authorized by the AG upon consultation with local attorneys.

Federal Bureau of Investigation spokesman Kevin Rowson says evidence collected in connection with a suspicious package addressed to CNN has been sent to the agency lab in Quantico, Virginia.

On Monday morning, before the latest package to CNN was discovered, Trump wrote on Twitter that media organizations were to blame for divisions in the United States.

On Monday, CNN reported that they received yet another "suspicious package" - the third such package in a week.

Zucker noted that all mail is being screened off-site - so the offices were never in any danger.

On Monday, following the interception of the suspicious package in Atlanta, Zucker said the same protocol would have applied in that incident.

The Florida man accused of sending packages containing explosive material to prominent Democrats and other opponents of President Donald Trump is due to make his first court appearance.

On Friday, FBI Director Christopher Wray said there is strong evidence linking Mr. Sayoc to the bombings that terrorized the nation. The main issue will be whether he waives extradition to NY and whether he seeks release on bail. Aaronson said he did not know what made Sayoc seem emotional but noted he is facing decades in prison if convicted.

Latest News