Three dead in double-decker bus crash in Ottawa

A bus crash at Westboro Station in Ottawa

A bus crash at Westboro Station in Ottawa

Investigators worked through the night and identified the three victims and contacted their families, said Const. Amy Gagnon.

Crash Investigation Unit is continuing its investigation into the collision yesterday, which left 23 people injured and three dead.

While police initially took the female driver of the bus into custody, they said Saturday she had been released without charges.

Graham said officers will also be taking measurements to try and determine how fast the bus was going when it got to Westboro station along the transitway, where the speed limit in that specific section is 50 km/h.

Two of the dead were riding the bus and one was on the platform at Westboro station, a major stop on the city's busway, Mayor Jim Watson said.

The majority of the patients injured in the crash have been released from hospital, police said, with just one remaining in critical condition while six are listed as serious and four are considered stable.

Bayern eager to complete signing of Hudson-Odoi
Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger has revealed team-mate Callum Hudson-Odoi has asked for his advice about a move to Bayern Munich as the Blues face a battle to hold on to the teenager.

Emergency crews were called to Westboro station in Ottawa following a collision involving a double-decker OC Transpo bus. He said he didn't yet have precise numbers.

"My first thoughts are with those who have been injured and their families".

Police Chief Charles Bordeleau told reporters that an investigation into the cause of the crash was underway, and that the driver of the bus had been released unconditionally following questioning. While she said she has no choice but to take the bus to and from school every day, she adds that this incident won't be far from her mind.

While the National Transportation Safety Board does remain on the scene of the crash, Bordeleau said they are not involved in the investigation but collecting data for a study being conducted on similar crashes.

Bilal Gill was at the back of the Route 269 bus when the collision occurred. "I can't see how they would've been able to get away from that", he said.

"A lot of people started screaming, people at the front who got pinned under their seats". Emergency workers immediately rushed to the scene to rescue passengers who were trapped on the upper level. "There was definitely people pinned". "It was chaos at first". The bus could have been holding as many as 90 passengers.

Latest News